A igreja existiu desde a fundação da cidade em 1616.
De início, sob aparência de modestíssima capela: pequenina, feita de taipa, e, coberta de palha.
Esteve instalada em local diferente, embora próximo, de onde se encontra, na atual Praça da Sé, cujo nome oficial é Frei Caetano Brandão.
Numa homenagem ao franciscano que se tornaria bispo do Gram-Pará, em 1782, e, fundaria o primeiro hospital da Amazônia, prestada pelo intendente de Belém, Antônio Lemos, em 1900.
A humilde igrejinha foi levantada no interior do forte construído tão logo o capitão-mor Francisco Caldeira de Castelo Branco e sua tropa desembarcaram de sua viagem desde São Luís.
Mas teve de ser transferida para fora do forte, três anos depois.
Quando os desmandos de capitão-mor agravaram os conflitos entre os portugueses e os índios.
E o forte foi ameaçado de invasão pelos índios.
Os militares do forte julgaram perigoso manter as portas do forte abertas para permitir o trânsito do fiéis até a igrejinha.
O templo, transferido para a parte externa do forte, em frente a ele, se manteve ali até hoje.
Trinta e quatro anos depois, em 1650, já como igreja matriz, a igrejinha havia se tornado uma força propulsora do desenvolvimento de Belém,como reconhecem alguns pesquisadores, entre os quais, Augusto Meira Filho, em seu livro “Evolução histórica de Belém do Grão-Pará”.
Porque propiciava à pequena população do povoado o surgimento de um bom espaço, no largo aberto em sua frente, propício para montagem de feiras, instalação de outras atividades de comércio, e, reuniões religiosas, cívicas, e, recreativas.
A passagem do tempo, todavia, deixou o templo em tão mal estado que foi descrito por um membro da então poderosa ordem dos jesuítas, o padre Mello Moraes, como um lugar mais adequado a um estábulo.
Naquela fase, os jesuítas tinham acumulado amplos recursos fornecidos pela exploração da mão-de-obra indígena.
Puderam, por isto, adquirir o privilegiadíssimo terreno, considerado o melhor da cidade, ao lado do forte.
Onde iriam construir o primeiro conjunto arquitetônico monumental de Belém, o da Igreja de Santo Alexandre e o do Colégio Jesuítico, atual, Museu de Arte Sacra do Pará.
Os religiosos, então, se sentiram animados a realizar, por conta de sua ordem, a reforma do templo, cujo importante papel no povoado se tornara evidente.
A reforma permitiu que ele se mantivesse de pé, por mais meio século.
Mas, em 1714, finalmente, ele desabou.
Sua função de matriz teve de ser transferida para a também pequenina Igreja de São João, nas suas proximidades.
Cinco anos depois, o papa Clemente XI, tornou o Gram-Pará sede de bispado, desmembrando-o do Maranhão, por intercessão do rei de Portugal, dom João V.
O rei, então, em 1723, quis que aquela primeira igreja de Belém fosse reerguida “com toda a magnificência possível” para servir como catedral.
No entanto, ainda se passaria um quarto de século, até que a sua pedra fundamental fosse lançada,.
Em 1748, a reconstrução da igreja estava sob a responsabilidade de um mestre de obras, Manuel João da Maia.
Seu projeto original do novo templo, com a opulência de uma catedral,veio de Lisboa.
Leandro Tocantins, ao analisá-lo em “Santa Maria de Belém do Grão-Pará”, não se mostrou muito entusiasmado.
Disse que haviam sido adotados na sua elaboração as mesmas soluções, afetadas e monotonamente convencionais, empregadas um ano depois no planejamento não executado da Sé, do Rio de Janeiro.
Tratava-se de “um maneirismo tardio e sem distinção”, disse ele.
Bispo adulador, substituto do governador
De qualquer forma, dom João V tinha autorizado que, nos gastos com a obra, fossem empregados 60 mil cruzados.
Importância que devia ser retirada da renda obtida pelo Estado do Gram-Pará/Maranhão com a comercialização do cacau.
Esta determinação do rei tem um significado relevante, segundo José Ubiratan Rosário, em “Amazônia, processo civilizatório.Apogeu do Grão-Pará”.
Pois, se tornou em mais um indício da ligação existente entre a inovadora arquitetura setecentista de Belém, associada a Antonio Giuseppe Landi, e,a economia do cacau.
Que só foi desenvolvida quando o governo de Portugal retomou as rédeas da produção econômica do Gram-Pará, com a expulsão das ordens religiosas do Estado.
E fez crescer as rendas do Gram-Pará, numa fase de prosperidade anterior à da produzida pela exportação da borracha, na Belle Époque.
Quando o reinado de dom João V terminou, ascendeu ao trono de rei de Portugal, em 1750, dom José I, que delegou o governo do reino a seu Secretário de Estado, o Marquês de Pombal.
A construção do templo em Belém veio a ser facilitada pelo relacionamento estreito que o bispo Miguel de Bulhões manteve com a corte portuguesa.
O bispo, visto como um bajulador, na historiografia da Amazônia, tinha sido um colaborador de Pombal na perseguição às ordens religiosas que haviam enriquecido desafiando o governo de Portugal, com o controle da economia do Gram-Pará.
Tão identificado estava dom Miguel com o novo governo que coube a ele substituir Mendonça Furtado no comando do Gram-Pará, quando o governador Mendonça Furtado teve de se afastar de Belém, na chefia da Comissão de Demarcações de Limites.
Em 1753, Landi chegou a Belém, e, recebeu de dom Miguel de Bulhões a incumbência de se responsabilizar pelas obras da catedral, que já estavam concluídas até a altura do telhado.
Dois anos mais tarde, as obras haviam avançado até o arco da capela-mor, quando o bispo resolveu benzê-la.
Mas, dom Miguel de Bulhões foi transferido para Portugal.
E o bispado do Gram-Pará foi entregue a dom João de São José de Queirós da Silveira.
Um bispo de carreira eclesiástica muito atormentada, o que atrasou a continuidade das obras da catedral.
O prelado chegou a Belém no dia 31 de agosto de 1760
Ele foi tema de pesquisa de Blenda Cunha Moura, no curso de mestrado em História, da Universidade Federal da Amazônia.
Com a pesquisa, Blenda elaborou sua dissertação cujo sugestivo título erarevelador dos altos e baixos da passagem daquele bispo pelo Gram-Pará: “Intrigas coloniais. A trajetória do bispo João de São José Queirós”
Dois meses depois, dom José iniciou viagens pastorais pelo rio Guamá e Capim.
E, começou a produzir textos sobre a sociedade do Gram-Pará
Os quais eram carregado de conteúdos sarcáticos, e, não poupavam nem alguns padres, mostrados como beberrões e prostituídos.
Com isto, ele se tornou malquisto pelas autoridades do Gram-Pará, desagradou o poderoso Pombal, e, caiu em desgraça junto à corte portuguesa.
Em 1763, o rei dom José I, influenciado por Pombal, manifestou seu desagrado com a figura dele.
E anunciou que gostaria de ver o padre Geraldo José de Abranches eleito vigário capitular da diocese do Gram-Pará, em substituição a dom João de São José
Inicialmente, o padre recebeu a incumbência de exercer, no Gram-Pará, a função de Visitador do temido Santo Ofício da Inquisição.
Os poderes que lhe foram outorgado permitiam a ele averiguar o que suscitasse suspeita de ser heresia, apostasia (abandono da fé cristã), e pecados nefandos (sacrilégios)
Tanto poder gerou medo e expectativa na população de Belém.
O bispo sarcástico e a Inquisição
A primeira vítima do Santo Ofício, no Estado foi o próprio dom João, a quem, por ironia, a corte portuguesa havia comunicado a decisão do rei de enviar ao Gram-Pará um representante da Inquisição.
O bispo foi acusado de ler livros proibidos e de não se relacionar bem com o governador Manoel Bernardo de Melo e Castro, e, com os padres da região.
Ele teve sua casa invadida e seus documentos seqüestrados.
Foi preso e embarcado de volta para Portugal.
Detido no Convento de São João do Ermo, em Portugal, faleceu no dia 15 de agosto de 1764.
Seu livro “Memórias”, com o relato de suas viagens pastorais no Gram-Pará, só veio à luz, em Portugal, depois de mais de um século da sua morte, graças ao romancista, cronista, crítico, dramaturgo, historiador e poeta Camilo Castelo Branco.
Após o falecimento dele, as obras da catedral de Belém, por fim, foram retomadas.
Inicialmente, o cabido, a assembléia dos religiosos ligado à catedral, pediu, em 1766, que fosse avaliada a situação das paredes da capela-mor.
A avaliação coube ao engenheiro-militar Gaspar João Geraldo de Gronsfeld, e a outro engenheiro-militar, Manoel Alves Calheiros.
Gronsfeld tinha sido companheiro de Landi, na Comissão de Demarcações de Limites.
E, se tornaria personagem da História de Belém, como o autor do melhor plano de tratamento das áreas alagadas da cidade.
Pouco tempo antes, contudo, tinha sido molestado pela Inquisição,comandada pelo padre Abranches, acusado de heresia, porque teriacolocado em dúvida a bondade de Deus.
Ao argumentar que Deus punha no mundo pessoas que sabia,antecipadamente, por ser onisciente, iriam para o inferno, depois de mortas.
Os dois engenheiros-militares se manifestaram, garantindo que a construção podia prosseguir.
Pois, suas paredes tinham “a grossura suficiente para suportar a abóbada”.
A igreja terminou adquirindo dimensões muito amplas, como sabe qualquer pessoa que tenha visitado a catedral de Belém.
Quando foi construída, suas dimensões eram inteiramente desproporcionais em relação ao pequeno número de fiéis que deveria acolher.
Isto, durante séculos, foi visto por alguns estudiosos da História do Pará, como prova da intenção da corte portuguesa de se transferir para Belém, quando surgiu a ameaça de invasão de Portugal pela França.
E, não para o Rio de Janeiro, como terminou ocorrendo.
Em 1838, no seu livro “Compêndio das Eras da Província do Pará”, Baena assinalou o grande comprimento da igreja, desde “o limiar da portada ao retábulo do altar-mor”, no qual se distribuíam outros doze altares.
Suas torres, planejadas por Landi, diz Baena, ultrapassavam os 40 metros de altura.
Por isto, especialistas em Arquitetura Colonial Brasileira identificaram estilos diferentes, entre a parte superior da sua fachada, desenhada por Landi, e, a inferior, concebida em Lisboa.
Robert Smith, por exemplo, chamou a atenção para elementos, como os frotões, colocados por Landi em cima das sineiras, que lembravam o santuário de Madona de São Lucas, construído por Carlo Dotti, e, eram desconhecidos no Brasil da época.
Leandro Tocantins, na obra citada, afirma:
“Landi ainda chegou a tempo de imprimir à fachada superior da igreja estilo neoclássico, incomum no Brasil daquele tempo, onde estavam no auge várias formações barroco-rococós”.
Bispo rebelde doa altar-mor
O outro detalhe da igreja a sofrer a ação de Landi, o altar-mor, que ele também desenhou e, cujos desenhos estão guardados na Biblioteca Nacional do Rio de Janeiro, foi igualmente descrito em 1838, por Baena:
“Obra de talha aperolada com florões, vasos, grinaldas”. Tudo dourado e cor de alabastro.
Donato Mello Júnior diria que o altar, tinha um estilo “discretamente barroco”, em “Antônio Landi – Arquiteto de Belém¨”.
Este detalhe da igreja foi inteiramente perdido com a reforma que a igreja sofreria, na última década do século seguinte.
O retábulo criado por Landi foi demolido por ordens de dom Macedo Costa.
O bispo que se tornaria personagem dos livros de História do Brasil por ter sido punido com quatro anos de prisão, ao se opor corajosamente a uma decisão do Imperador dom Pedro II.
A de desrespeitar a Bula Syllabus, na qual o Papa Pio IX tinha proibidoas relações entre católicos e maçons.
No seu lugar foi colocado um altar de 10 metros de comprimento e 50 centímetros de altura esculpido na cidade de Roma, por Luca Carimini.
O altar, em mármore, foi doado pelo mesmo papa Pio IX, provavelmente em reconhecimento àquela atitude corajosa de dom Macedo Costa.
Ao ser realizado o assentamento do novo altar ocorreu algo raro nas construções, em Belém: o revezamento, numa mesma obra, de profissionais superiormente qualificados, e, distanciados, no tempo.
O que evidenciou a possibilidade de continuidade do trabalho de um por outro, fundamental para o desenvolvimento de uma História das Construções na região.
O responsável pelo assentamento do novo altar, realizado mais de cem anos depois que Landi havia concluído o primeiro, foi um técnico enviado por Carrimini, Ludovico Perfetti.
Com ele, porém, trabalhou um engenheiro, Agostinho Autran, cujo nome reapareceria nas fases seguintes da História das Construções de Belém.
Além disto, antes da chegada do técnico italiano, a arquidiocese havia encomendado um orçamento para o trabalho de assentamento.
Quem o forneceu foi José Felix Soares, um profissional com ainda maior importância histórica para a profissão de construtor no Pará, da segunda metade do século XIX.
Tocantins(1987) diz que o desaparecimento daquele altar idealizado por Landi se constituiu numa perda para a Arte e para a História.
Conquanto ele admita que o novo altar não destoe do equilíbrio entre os estilos neoclássico e o barroco, próprio da igreja, e, aceite que ele lembre a Igreja da Candelária, no Rio de Janeiro.
Porém, Tocantins acrescenta que, particularmente, ele “preferia contemplar” o trabalho de Landi.
Preferia – insiste ele – “conhecer a Sé em toda a sua pureza original. Mais autenticamente integrada no espírito do seu tempo”.
O último detalhe da igreja criado por Landi foi mantido na sua essência, embora formalmente tenha sido também alterado.
Este detalhe se relaciona com a decoração interna do templo.
No altar-mor e nos dez altares laterais, Landi, diz Mello Júnior, “à maneira italiana”, resolveu colocar não imagens esculpidas mas telas pintadas a óleo.
Onze dos treze altares do templo receberam pinturas do artista lisboeta Pedro Alexandrino de Carvalho.
Na reforma realizada por ordens de dom Macedo Costa a resolução de Landi foi preservada.
O templo continuaria a ter telas naqueles altares.
As pinturas originais, contudo, segundo o jornal da arquidiocese “A Estrela do Norte”, em 1869, haviam se tornado “pobres crostas”.
Diz Mello Júnior:
“Quase um século depois de a obra principal ser dada por concluída, a Sé apresentava suas telas em precário estado de conservação, possivelmente, escurecidas, oxidadas e ressequidas”.
Uma única tela de Pedro Alexandrino, a com a figura do Patriarca São Domingos de Gusmão, foi mantida depois da reforma da igreja.
Nos demais quadros, foram restauradas as molduras desenhadas por Landi, classificadas como “magníficas” por Mello Júnior.
Mas as telas foram trocadas por trabalhos encomendados a Domenico de Ângelis, que pintou também painéis na abóbada do templo.
(Ilustração: Catedral de Belém do Pará, após nova restauração, recente)
A Saga Marked by Flattery, Sarcasm, and the Defiance
of Bishops: The Construction of Belém’s Cathedral
The church has existed since the founding of the city in 1616.
At first, it was little more than a very modest chapel: tiny, built of wattle and daub, and roofed with thatch.
It originally stood at a different, though nearby, location from where it stands today, in the present-day Cathedral Square (Praça da Sé), whose official name is Frei Caetano Brandão Square.
The square was renamed in 1900 by Belém’s mayor, Antônio Lemos, in honor of the Franciscan friar who became Bishop of Grão-Pará in 1782 and founded the first hospital in the Amazon.
The humble little church was erected inside the fort built immediately after Captain-Major Francisco Caldeira de Castelo Branco and his troops landed following their voyage from São Luís.
Three years later, however, it had to be moved outside the fort.
By then, the Captain-Major’s abuses had intensified the conflicts between the Portuguese and the Indigenous peoples.
The fort itself came under the threat of an Indigenous attack.
The military authorities considered it too dangerous to keep the fort’s gates open to allow the faithful access to the little church.
The church was therefore relocated to the area immediately in front of the fort, where it has remained to this day.
Thirty-four years later, in 1650, now serving as the parish church, the little chapel had become one of the driving forces behind Belém’s development, as acknowledged by several scholars, among them Augusto Meira Filho in his book Historical Evolution of Belém do Grão-Pará.
It provided the small population of the settlement with a spacious public square in front of the church, ideally suited for markets, commercial activities, and religious, civic, and recreational gatherings.
Time, however, left the building in such poor condition that Father Mello Moraes, a member of the then-powerful Jesuit Order, described it as a place more suitable for a stable than for divine worship.
At that time, the Jesuits had accumulated considerable wealth through the exploitation of Indigenous labor.
This enabled them to acquire what was regarded as the city’s finest and most privileged site, adjacent to the fort.
There they would erect Belém’s first monumental architectural complex: the Church of Santo Alexandre and the Jesuit College, today the Pará Museum of Sacred Art.
Encouraged by their growing prestige, the Jesuits decided to undertake, at their own expense, the restoration of the church, whose central importance to the settlement had become unmistakable.
The renovation allowed the building to remain standing for another half century.
Finally, in 1714, it collapsed.
Its role as the parish church had to be transferred to the equally modest Church of São João, located nearby.
Five years later, Pope Clement XI elevated Grão-Pará to the status of a bishopric, separating it from Maranhão at the request of King João V of Portugal.
In 1723, the king ordered that Belém’s first church be rebuilt “with all possible magnificence” so that it could serve as the cathedral.
Even so, another quarter of a century would pass before its foundation stone was finally laid.
In 1748, responsibility for rebuilding the church was entrusted to the master builder Manuel João da Maia.
His original design for the new church, conceived with the grandeur expected of a cathedral, came from Lisbon.
When Leandro Tocantins examined the project in Santa Maria de Belém do Grão-Pará, he was far from enthusiastic.
He observed that the design adopted the same affected and monotonously conventional solutions that were employed a year later in the unrealized plans for the Cathedral of Rio de Janeiro.
In his opinion, it represented “a late and undistinguished mannerism.”
A Flattering Bishop Who Became the Governor’s Substitute
In any event, King João V had authorized the expenditure of 60,000 cruzados on the construction of the cathedral.
The funds were to come from the revenues earned by the State of Grão-Pará and Maranhão through the commercialization of cacao.
According to José Ubiratan Rosário, in Amazonia: A Civilizing Process – The Apogee of Grão-Pará, the king’s decision carries considerable historical significance.
It provides yet another indication of the close relationship between Belém’s innovative eighteenth-century architecture—associated with Antonio Giuseppe Landi—and the cacao economy.
That economy only flourished after the Portuguese Crown regained control over the economic production of Grão-Pará by expelling the religious orders from the colony.
As a result, the revenues of Grão-Pará increased substantially during a period of prosperity that preceded the wealth later generated by rubber exports during the Belle Époque.
When the reign of King João V came to an end, his son, King José I, ascended the Portuguese throne in 1750 and entrusted the administration of the kingdom to his Secretary of State, the Marquis of Pombal.
The construction of the cathedral in Belém was greatly facilitated by the close relationship Bishop Miguel de Bulhões maintained with the Portuguese court.
Remembered in Amazonian historiography as an obsequious courtier, Bishop Miguel had collaborated closely with Pombal in the campaign against the religious orders that had enriched themselves by defying the Portuguese government and controlling the economy of Grão-Pará.
So closely identified was Dom Miguel with the new administration that he was appointed to replace Governor Mendonça Furtado as head of Grão-Pará whenever the governor was absent from Belém while leading the Boundary Demarcation Commission.
In 1753, Landi arrived in Belém and was entrusted by Dom Miguel de Bulhões with responsibility for supervising the cathedral’s construction, which had already progressed as far as the roof.
Two years later, the work had advanced to the chancel arch, at which point the bishop decided to bless the building.
Soon afterward, however, Dom Miguel de Bulhões was transferred to Portugal.
The bishopric of Grão-Pará was then entrusted to Dom João de São José de Queirós da Silveira.
His ecclesiastical career proved to be a particularly troubled one, delaying the continuation of the cathedral’s construction.
The prelate arrived in Belém on August 31, 1760.
He later became the subject of research by Blenda Cunha Moura in her master’s degree in History at the Federal University of Amazonia.
Her dissertation bore the revealing title Colonial Intrigues: The Career of Bishop João de São José Queirós, a work that reflected the dramatic highs and lows of his years in Grão-Pará.
Two months after his arrival, Dom João began pastoral visits along the Guamá and Capim rivers.
At the same time, he started writing accounts of the society of Grão-Pará.
These writings were filled with biting sarcasm and spared no one, not even members of the clergy, some of whom he portrayed as drunkards and morally corrupt.
As a consequence, he became deeply unpopular with the authorities of Grão-Pará, incurred the displeasure of the powerful Marquis of Pombal, and ultimately fell from favor at the Portuguese court.
In 1763, King José I, acting under Pombal’s influence, openly expressed his dissatisfaction with the bishop.
He announced that he wished to see Father Geraldo José de Abranches elected Capitular Vicar of the Diocese of Grão-Pará in place of Dom João de São José.
Earlier, Father Abranches had been appointed to serve in Grão-Pará as a Visitor of the Holy Office of the Inquisition.
The powers entrusted to him authorized him to investigate any suspicion of heresy, apostasy—the abandonment of the Christian faith—and nefarious sins, a term then used to designate sacrilegious and other grievous offenses.
Such extensive authority inspired both fear and apprehension among the inhabitants of Belém.
The Sarcastic Bishop and the Inquisition
Ironically, the first victim of the Holy Office in the State of Grão-Pará was Bishop Dom João himself, even though it was he who had been officially informed by the Portuguese court of the King’s decision to send a representative of the Inquisition to Grão-Pará.
The bishop was accused of reading prohibited books and of maintaining poor relations with Governor Manoel Bernardo de Melo e Castro and with the priests of the region.
His residence was searched, and his documents were confiscated.
He was arrested and sent back to Portugal.
Imprisoned in the Convent of São João do Ermo, in Portugal, he died on August 15, 1764.
His book Memórias (Memoirs), containing an account of his pastoral journeys through Grão-Pará, was not published in Portugal until more than a century after his death, thanks to the efforts of the novelist, chronicler, literary critic, playwright, historian, and poet Camilo Castelo Branco.
Following his death, work on Belém’s cathedral was finally resumed.
The first step came in 1766, when the cathedral chapter—the assembly of clergymen attached to the cathedral—requested an assessment of the condition of the walls of the chancel.
The inspection was entrusted to the military engineer Gaspar João Geraldo de Gronsfeld and his fellow military engineer Manoel Alves Calheiros.
Gronsfeld had previously worked alongside Landi on the Boundary Demarcation Commission.
He would later earn a place in the history of Belém as the author of what is regarded as the city’s finest plan for reclaiming and draining its flooded areas.
Shortly before this assignment, however, he himself had been harassed by the Inquisition, under the authority of Father Abranches.
He was accused of heresy for allegedly questioning the goodness of God.
His offense was to argue that God, being omniscient, knowingly created people whom He already knew would be condemned to hell after death.
The two military engineers concluded that construction could safely continue.
In their opinion, the cathedral’s walls possessed “sufficient thickness to support the vault.”
The church eventually acquired monumental proportions, as anyone who has visited Belém’s cathedral can readily appreciate.
At the time it was built, however, its dimensions were entirely disproportionate to the relatively small number of worshippers it was expected to accommodate.
For centuries, some historians of Pará regarded this as evidence that the Portuguese court had once intended to transfer itself to Belém in the event of a French invasion of Portugal, rather than to Rio de Janeiro, where the royal court ultimately took refuge.
In 1838, in his Compêndio das Eras da Província do Pará(Compendium of the Eras of the Province of Pará), Baena highlighted the cathedral’s remarkable length, extending from “the threshold of the main portal to the high altar,” along which twelve additional altars were arranged.
Its towers, designed by Landi, rose to more than forty meters in height, according to Baena.
For this reason, specialists in Brazilian Colonial Architecture have identified distinct architectural styles between the upper portion of the façade, designed by Landi, and the lower section, conceived in Lisbon.
Robert Smith, for example, drew attention to features such as the pediments that Landi placed above the bell towers. These recalled the Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca, designed by Carlo Dotti, and were virtually unknown in Brazil at the time.
Leandro Tocantins, in the work previously cited, concludes:
“Landi still arrived in time to give the upper façade of the church a Neoclassical style, uncommon in Brazil at that time, when various Baroque-Rococo forms were at the height of their popularity.”
The Rebellious Bishop Donates the High Altar
The other major feature of the cathedral to bear Landi’s imprint was the high altar, which he also designed. His original drawings are now preserved at the National Library in Rio de Janeiro. In 1838, Baena described it as:
“A work of carved wood adorned with pearly ornamentation, rosettes, vases, and garlands.”
The entire structure was gilded and finished in the color of alabaster.
In Antônio Landi – Arquiteto de Belém, Donato Mello Júnior would later describe the altar as being “discreetly Baroque” in style.
This remarkable work, however, was completely lost during the extensive renovation that the cathedral underwent in the final decade of the nineteenth century.
Landi’s original reredos was demolished by order of Bishop Dom Macedo Costa.
The bishop would later become a prominent figure in Brazilian history after being sentenced to four years’ imprisonment for courageously opposing a decision of Emperor Dom Pedro II.
The issue concerned the Emperor’s refusal to enforce the Syllabus Bull, through which Pope Pius IX had forbidden Catholics from maintaining ties with Freemasonry.
Landi’s altar was replaced by a marble altar measuring ten meters in length and fifty centimeters in height, sculpted in Rome by Luca Carimini.
The new altar was donated by Pope Pius IX himself, most likely in recognition of Dom Macedo Costa’s courageous stand.
The installation of the new altar gave rise to a rare occurrence in the history of construction in Belém: highly skilled professionals, separated by more than a century, took turns contributing to the same work.
This continuity demonstrated how one generation of specialists could build upon the achievements of another, an essential element in the development of the history of construction in the region.
Responsibility for installing the new altar, more than one hundred years after Landi had completed the original, fell to Ludovico Perfetti, a technician sent by Carimini.
Working alongside him was the engineer Agostinho Autran, whose name would reappear in subsequent chapters of Belém’s architectural and construction history.
Before the arrival of the Italian technician, the Archdiocese had commissioned a cost estimate for the installation.
The estimate was prepared by José Felix Soares, a professional of even greater historical importance to the building trades in Pará during the second half of the nineteenth century.
Tocantins (1987) argues that the disappearance of Landi’s original altar represented a significant loss both to art and to history.
Even so, he acknowledged that the new altar does not disrupt the harmonious balance between the cathedral’s Neoclassical and Baroque styles and admitted that it recalls the Church of Candelária in Rio de Janeiro.
Nevertheless, Tocantins added that, personally, he “preferred to contemplate” Landi’s work.
Indeed, he insisted that he would rather have known the cathedral “in all its original purity, more authentically integrated into the spirit of its own time.”
The last feature of the cathedral created by Landi has essentially survived, although it too underwent formal alterations.
This feature concerns the interior decoration of the church.
According to Mello Júnior, Landi decided, “in the Italian manner,” that the high altar and the ten side altars should display oil paintings rather than sculpted images.
Eleven of the cathedral’s thirteen altars received paintings by the Lisbon artist Pedro Alexandrino de Carvalho.
During the renovation ordered by Dom Macedo Costa, Landi’s original concept was preserved.
The cathedral would continue to display paintings on those altars.
The original canvases, however, had deteriorated severely. According to the Archdiocese’s newspaper A Estrela do Norte, writing in 1869, they had become nothing more than “poor encrusted surfaces.”
As Mello Júnior observes:
“Nearly a century after the principal work had been completed, the cathedral’s canvases were in a precarious state of preservation, most likely darkened, oxidized, and desiccated.”
Only one of Pedro Alexandrino’s original paintings—the one depicting Saint Dominic de Guzmán, Patriarch of the Dominican Order—remained in place after the renovation.
On the remaining altars, Landi’s frames, described by Mello Júnior as “magnificent,” were carefully preserved.
The paintings themselves, however, were replaced by new works commissioned from Domenico de Ângelis, who also painted the decorative panels on the cathedral’s vaulted ceiling.
(Illustration: Belém do Pará Cathedral following a recent restoration.)















